1. Children presently enrolled in the School if they and their families meet the
expectations of the School.
2. Siblings of children already in the School, whose families are practicing
Catholics active in the Parish.
3. Children whose families are practicing Catholics active in the Parish.
4. Siblings of children already in the School, whose families are practicing
Catholics active in other Parishes.
5. Children whose families are practicing Catholics coming into the Parish, who
have been attending Catholic School elsewhere.
6. Children whose families are practicing Catholics active in other Parishes.
7. Children whose families are either not practicing Catholics or not active in their
8. Non-Catholics. Enrollment of more than 15% non-Catholics in any Grade
requires the approval of the Board of Directors. Once accepted into the School,
non-Catholics need meet only the criteria expected of other students to be re
admitted in subsequent years. Siblings of non-Catholic students cannot be
given priority over Catholics.
NOTE: KINDERGARTEN REGISTRANTS MUST BE 5 YEARS OF AGE PRIOR TO
DECEMBER 31ST OF THE YEAR THEY ENTER KINDERGARTEN.
In accordance with the Ministry of Education, attendance records of all grant qualifying schools must be audited each year. An independent auditor will ascertain whether all students are in compliance with the attendance policies as stated in the Ministry of Education, Governance and Legislation Unit, Independent School Regulations. In order for a school to receive the 50% per student government grant each student enrolled in Our Lady of the Assumption School must have completed
“ . . . at least 600 hours of instruction after July 1 but before May 15 of that school year in an educational program . . . ”.
If a student is absent due to a lengthy illness, the parent will be asked to provide a doctors note with regard to the reason for the absence and this note will be given to the auditor at the time of the yearly audit of attendance figures.
The Ministry of Education will not accept a family vacation as an acceptable reason for a lack of school attendance. If, due to a prolonged family vacation a child is in jeopardy of losing a portion of the government grant for that school year, the Parish Education Committee of Assumption School will hold the parents responsible for any loss in coverage. The family will be required to make up the difference of government grant lost (OLA School Policies D5 & D6).
To learn more about our policies, you can download our policy manual.